Wheat and Oat produced in year 2013 increased by 75,711 tons compared to last year. Other fruit and vegetables including Dates prodution has also improved visibly according to the report by Diyala Agriculture Authority.
The report attributed these increases to:
- Modern Irrigation techniques
- Increased Awareness through planned and targeted programs for farmers
- Increased research projects.
- Increased automation, including Automatic seeding and sowing of tomatoes and other veg.
- Micro-financing smaller agricultural projects with 0% interest loans.
The Iraqi government announced an initiative in August 2008 to improve agriculture nationwide with an objective to reach self-sufficiency of the strategic crops by 2018.